Re: Dump Problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ian Harding" <ianh(at)tpchd(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dump Problem
Date: 2002-02-22 19:18:09
Lists: pgsql-general

"Ian Harding" <ianh(at)tpchd(dot)org> writes:
> Can someone tell me how to go about fixing this? I am trying a data only dump, but it seems to need to get a view definition?
> bash-2.05$ pg_dump -a -d planning > foo
> getTables(): SELECT (for VIEW DEFINITION) failed. Explanation from backend: ERROR: cache lookup for proc 15505994 failed

Evidently you've got a broken view ("broken" meaning "relies on a
function that no longer exists"). You'll need to find and drop that
view.

7.2's pg_dump would tell you exactly which view it's failing on,
but 7.1's doesn't. You could run pg_dump after doing
export PGOPTIONS="-d2"
and then look in the postmaster log to see the queries pg_dump
sends to the backend. The last query before the failure would
tell you which view was being retrieved.