Re: Fixed redundant i18n strings in json

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fixed redundant i18n strings in json
Date: 2014-08-07 19:28:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Sat, Aug 2, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Daniele Varrazzo
> <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I'd definitely replace /arg/argument/. Furthermore I'd avoid the form
>> "argument 1: something is wrong": the string is likely to end up in
>> sentences with other colons so I'd rather use "something is wrong at
>> argument 1".
>>
>> Is the patch attached better?

> Looks OK to me. I thought someone else might comment, but since no
> one has, committed.

It looks to me like this is still wrong:

if (nargs % 2 != 0)
ereport(ERROR,
(errcode(ERRCODE_INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE),
- errmsg("invalid number or arguments: object must be matched key value pairs")));
+ errmsg("invalid number or arguments"),
+ errhint("Object must be matched key value pairs.")));

Surely that was meant to read "invalid number OF arguments". The errhint
is only charitably described as English, as well. I'd suggest something
like "Arguments of json_build_object() must be pairs of keys and values."
--- but maybe someone else can phrase that better.