Re: parameter in trigger function

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jules Alberts" <jules(dot)alberts(at)arbodienst-limburg(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: parameter in trigger function
Date: 2003-08-15 15:40:28
Lists: pgsql-general

"Jules Alberts" <jules(dot)alberts(at)arbodienst-limburg(dot)nl> writes:
> Code like this
> NEW.$1 := lower(NEW.$1)
> won't work, all I get is error messages :-(

Can't do that in plpgsql; it does not like run-time specification of
table or field names. You could try using EXECUTE but I doubt that
will work either for an assignment to NEW.

I'd suggest using pltcl, which is more amenable to run-time
determination of field names.

> mostly says the opposite. Is this possible at all? How do I read the
> TriggerData structure from whithin a pl/pgsql function?

You are looking for TG_ARGV[], though this is not your biggest
problem...