Re: Duplicate key existant/index visibility bug in 9.3.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Erik Jones <ejones(at)engineyard(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Duplicate key existant/index visibility bug in 9.3.3
Date: 2015-01-26 23:04:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Erik Jones <ejones(at)engineyard(dot)com> writes:
> On Jan 26, 2015, at 2:43 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Maybe. That would require at least one crash recovery to have happened on
>> the server, which Erik seemed to be claiming had not happened. But
>> if there were any crashes then it would possibly fit.

> Definitely nothing recent crash/recovery-wise but digging further back in the logs it looks like there was a crash recovery run startup back on 2014-09-30, which was about a week after this server was created. I suppose its possible that the index has been corrupt since then but only now showing something visible?

Doesn't fit this specific bug fix --- the case it addresses would cause
already-existing rows to become unreachable from the index during crash
recovery. AFAICS that could not create a latent problem for rows inserted
later. Still, this isn't the only bug fixed in 9.3.4/9.3.5. Personally
I'm wondering about c0bd128c81c2b23a1cbc53305180fca51b3b61c3.

I'll try to refrain from asking why a server initdb'd in September wasn't
running 9.3.5 from inception.