Re: [HACKERS] pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
Date: 1999-10-21 22:47:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> writes:
> I notice messages like:
> pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
> What does it means ?

Means your client closed the connection without sending a "terminate"
message first, ie, you didn't close down libpq gracefully. It's harmless
enough, although I think having the log message is a good idea. (If you
use clients that are careful to do PQfinish() then you can use the
postmaster log to check for client crashes.)

> Also I'm curious about postmaster's activity:

> proc_exit(0) [#0]
> shmem_exit(0) [#0]
> exit(0)
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster: reaping dead processes...
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster: CleanupProc: pid 21507 exited with status 0

> This message appears too often - I have in httpd.conf
> MaxRequestsPerChild 5000, so I expect new httpd children after 5000 requests
> and new postgress process accordingly (I use persistent connection
> between httpd and postgres).

Well, that's certainly the trace of a backend quitting. I'd say your
httpd stuff isn't working the way you think it is...

regards, tom lane

PS: I didn't hear back from you about INTERSECT/LIMIT --- is that still
broken for you? I can't find anything wrong with it here.