Re: Hash join in 8.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: André Volpato <andre(dot)volpato(at)ecomtecnologia(dot)com(dot)br>, "PostgreSQL" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hash join in 8.3
Date: 2007-12-13 19:37:02
Lists: pgsql-general

> But I'm curious if you turn off mergejoin whether you can get a Nested Loop
> plan and what cost 8.3 gives it. It looks to me like 8.3 came up with a higher
> cost for Nested Loop than 8.1.9 (I think 8.1.10 came out with some planner
> fixes btw) and so it's deciding these other plans are better. And they might
> have been better for the imaginary scenario that the planner thinks is going
> on.

Actually, now that I think about it, 8.3 should be *more* likely than
8.1 to choose a nestloop-with-inner-indexscan plan. 8.1 didn't have the
changes to allow a discount for repeated inner indexscans.

I'm wondering if

(a) the 8.1 installation being compared to had some planner cost
parameter changes that were not copied into the 8.3 installation; or

(b) the only reason 8.1 likes the nestloop plan is that it has no
statistics on the test tables, whereas 8.3 does have stats because
of autovacuum being on by default.