Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Chad N(dot) Tindel" <chad(at)tindel(dot)net>
Cc: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Mysql -> Postgresql pitfalls
Date: 2003-08-02 02:49:01
Lists: pgsql-docs

"Chad N. Tindel" <chad(at)tindel(dot)net> writes:
> <RANT>As a programmer, I personally would never write code that kept
> people from running things as root. I mean, what is the point?

If someone roots your box, it's not our fault. Simple as that.

Personally, I wish more net-accessible servers were written with that
philosophy. The correct question is NEVER "why can't I run this as
root?". The correct question is ALWAYS "how can I avoid running this as
root? And if I can't avoid it, why not?". Any other approach leads to
Outlook Express. (BTW, have you forgotten the SQL Server worm already?)