Re: Losing my database connection

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Aryan Ariel Rodriguez Chalas <wimogan(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Losing my database connection
Date: 2004-07-05 04:35:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

=?iso-8859-1?q?Aryan=20Ariel=20Rodriguez=20Chalas?= <wimogan(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I'm having toubles with my PostgreSQL Database
> Connection. I don't know why, but after more or less
> 10 minutes I lose the connection to a PostgreSQL
> Database which is running in a server in a remote
> site. This means that, if I'm not doing any query to
> the Database on the server, my connections loses
> everty 10 minutes.

This sounds like a firewall problem. If there's a firewall box between
you and the database server, and the firewall does address translation
(NAT), then it probably has a timeout after which it will drop the
translation info for an idle connection. Ten minutes sounds
unreasonably short though :-(. You should be able to adjust that
timeout somewhere in the firewall's settings ... if not, get a new
firewall.