Re: trouble configuring Postgres with Identd authentication

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: mark(at)summersault(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trouble configuring Postgres with Identd authentication
Date: 2001-02-28 16:36:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Mark Stosberg <mark(at)summersault(dot)com> writes:
> Tonight I tinkered with getting identd authentication working
> with Postgres 7.0.2. It appeared to accept my configuration, but the
> connections were failing when it
> seemed they shouldn't.

Is there a firewall or router between the client and server machines?
I've found the hard way that identd doesn't work for connections that
pass through a NAT-enabled router, because the port numbers are
different on the two sides of the router, so that the port number sent
in the ident request doesn't match anything the identd daemon can see.
(I suppose the router could fix this if it knew about ident requests,
but at least my Netopia router does not do that ...)

> The sequence looked like this:

> #####
> elkhorn(at)ns elkhorn> psql -d elkhorn -u
> psql: Warning: The -u option is deprecated. Use -U.

Hm, is PGHOST set in the environment? Otherwise this will try to do a
Unix-socket connection, which does not work with ident.