SSI implementation question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Dan Ports <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: SSI implementation question
Date: 2011-10-19 16:56:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Is it really necessary for GetSerializableTransactionSnapshotInt to
acquire an empty SERIALIZABLEXACT before it acquires a snapshot?
If so, why? The proposed synchronized-snapshots feature will mean
that the allegedly-new snapshot actually was taken some time before,
so it seems to me that either this is not necessary or we cannot use
a synchronized snapshot in a serializable xact.

In the same vein, why is it necessary to be holding
SerializableXactHashLock (exclusively, yet) while acquiring the
snapshot? That seems rather bad from a concurrency standpoint, and
again it's going to be pretty meaningless if we're just installing a
pre-existing snapshot.

The reason these things came to mind is that I want to refactor the code
so that the SSI-specific work in GetSerializableTransactionSnapshotInt
is done by a function that is handed an already-taken snapshot, because
I cannot stomach what Joachim did to the APIs of GetSnapshotData and
allied functions. But refactor or no refactor, it seems like installing
a pre-existing snapshot may be breaking some assumptions here.