Re: How much expensive are row level statistics?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, Carlos Benkendorf <carlosbenkendorf(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
Subject: Re: How much expensive are row level statistics?
Date: 2005-12-16 00:06:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches pgsql-performance

Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org> writes:
> Does the backend support, or could it be easily modified to support,
> a mechanism that would post the command string after a configurable
> amount of time had expired, and then continue processing the query?

Not really, unless you want to add the overhead of setting a timer
interrupt for every query. Which is sort of counterproductive when
the motivation is to reduce overhead ...

(It might be more or less free if you have statement_timeout set, since
there would be a setitimer call anyway. But I don't think that's the
norm.)