SQL Question

From: Matthew <matt(at)ctlno(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: SQL Question
Date: 2001-02-22 21:13:47
Lists: pgsql-general

In 7.0.3 I want to do:

select count( distinct browser, ssn) from applicant_sessions where browser
like '%5.5%';

But I get this error:

ERROR: Aggregate functions may only have one parameter

In 7.1 I can do:
select count(*) from (select distinct browser, ssn from applicant_sessions
where browser like '%5.5%') as distinctbrow;

to get the desired result, but I can't do that in 7.0.x. Any suggestions?
Am I doing anything wrong with my sql syntax. I'm working around it right
now by doing a pg_numrows from PHP after I do the first select, but I would
like to get the count directly as it will be faster.

Thanks,

Matt