Re: Multibyte still broken

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Robinson <robinson(at)netrinsics(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multibyte still broken
Date: 2000-05-10 15:08:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Robinson <robinson(at)netrinsics(dot)com> writes:
> More robust code may always be good, but "good" apparently doesn't always go
> into the tree. Imagine my surprise, while upgrading a production server
> from 6.5.3 to 7.0, when the data dumped from the old database failed to load
> into the new database (well, crashed the backend, to be specific).

Sounds like someone failed to follow through on applying that fix :-(.
Patches have been known to slip through the cracks before, especially
when not fully worked out and formally submitted.

> I would, though, recommend a warning in the "INSTALL" file along the lines of:

> "WARNING: Use of improperly-encoded text with multi-byte support enabled
> WILL lead to data corruption and/or loss. Do not enable multi-byte support
> unless you intend to fully validate your own damn data."

Sorry you had trouble, but the above seems uncalled-for. What would be
more productive is a submitted patch to apply against 7.0.