Re: Backend Crash v8.4.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kelly Burkhart <kelly(dot)burkhart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backend Crash v8.4.2
Date: 2010-06-29 14:34:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Kelly Burkhart <kelly(dot)burkhart(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> The crash left a core file, does the stack trace indicate anything crucial?

> (gdb) where
> #0 0x000000000068d884 in SearchCatCacheList ()
> #1 0x0000000100000000 in ?? ()
> #2 0x0000000000bbcbe0 in ?? ()
> #3 0x00007f3b3a86a580 in ?? ()
> #4 0x72ddbea20068dae0 in ?? ()
> #5 0x00007fff78faa720 in ?? ()
> #6 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
> Current language: auto
> The current source language is "auto; currently asm".

That's pretty much useless unless you can install debug symbols and
try again. I will say though that this is probably a new bug ---
I don't recall seeing anything crashing in SearchCatCacheList recently.

> Can anyone provide some guidance on how I can go about discovering the
> cause?

Please try to create a reproducible test case. One thing you can get to
start from is the query that was being executed --- try this in gdb:

p debug_query_string

If that just gives you a number and not the text of a SQL query, try

p (char *) debug_query_string