Re: Please release (was Re: nodeAgg perf tweak)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: neilc(at)samurai(dot)com, alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl, simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please release (was Re: nodeAgg perf tweak)
Date: 2004-12-02 03:04:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
> I've raised this before, but would like to suggest again that there might be
> virtue in branching earlier in the dev cycle - maybe around the time of the
> first beta.

Given the amount of patching that's gone on, branching 8.1 earlier would
have meant a great deal more work for the committers, in the form of
double-patching stuff. And I don't know about the other committers, but
I've certainly had no spare bandwidth for reviewing or applying 8.1-cycle
patches anyway. So I think we made the right move to delay the branch.

Core hasn't really talked about the point yet, but I suspect we'll make
the branch after 8.0RC1 appears (which hopefully will be Real Soon).