Query plan issues - volatile tables

From: Brian Herlihy <btherl(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Postgresql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Query plan issues - volatile tables
Date: 2009-06-04 01:43:06
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

We have a problem with some of our query plans. One of our tables is quite volatile, but postgres always uses the last statistics snapshot from the last time it was analyzed for query planning. Is there a way to tell postgres that it should not trust the statistics for this table? Basically we want it to assume that there may be 0, 1 or 100,000 entries coming out from a query on that table at any time, and that it should not make any assumptions.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian Herlihy
Trellian Pty Ltd