Re: [HACKERS] AIX 4.2.1 regression test

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] AIX 4.2.1 regression test
Date: 1998-10-28 15:50:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andreas Zeugswetter <andreas(dot)zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at> writes:
> AIX 4.2.1 regression tests are ok :-)
> rules .. failed other sort order in select * from rtest_admin (guess ok)

Ah-hah, so HPUX is not the only platform where qsort chooses to output
those tuples in the other order. I feel better now ;-)

I will go ahead and modify the rules test to do an "order by" in
the select * from rtest_admin command, so that it generates
predictable results.

> modify configure test for cpp stdin
> currently does xlc -E and fails to notice, that it does not work

I think we have two choices here:

1. Try to improve configure's test for cpp-from-stdin some more, and add
to it the idea that it might have to fall back to calling /lib/cpp
directly if neither "$(CPP)" nor "$(CPP) -" work for reading from stdin.

2. Rewrite the shell scripts that are using this feature so that they
don't need cpp-from-stdin, but just use a temporary file and plain
$(CPP). Then we can forget about testing for it in configure.

A quick "glimpse" shows there are only two shell scripts using
$(CPPSTDIN), so I think choice #2 is the way to go. At this point in
the schedule, we need a high-probability-of-success fix, and tweaking an
autoconf test is never a high-probability affair until you've actually
run it on a lot of platforms. Hacking the scripts might be ugly,
but it will work.