Re: Supporting fallback RADIUS server(s)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Supporting fallback RADIUS server(s)
Date: 2015-08-20 14:16:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 2:36 AM, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to> wrote:
>> On 2015-08-20 02:29, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Why add new GUCs for that? Can't we just redefine radiusserver as a list
>>> of servers to try in sequence, and similarly split radiusport into a list?

> We could change it to radius_servers and radius_ports, and deprecate but
> keep accepting the old parameters for a release or two. To make it easy, we
> make sure that both parameter names accepts the same format parameter, so
> it's easy enough to just replace it once deprecated.

Considering that we did no such thing for listen_address, which is of
concern to probably two or three orders-of-magnitude more users than
radiusserver, I don't really see why we'd do it for the RADIUS settings.

Our expectations about forward compatibility for postgresql.conf entries
have always been pretty low; even more so for not-widely-used settings.

In any case, wouldn't what you describe simply put off the pain for awhile
(replacing it with confusion in the short term)? Eventually we're going
to break it.