Re: First draft of new FE/BE protocol spec posted for comments

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Grant Finnemore <grantf(at)guruhut(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: First draft of new FE/BE protocol spec posted for comments
Date: 2003-04-16 14:23:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Grant Finnemore <grantf(at)guruhut(dot)co(dot)za> writes:
> As it currently stands, we have functions that are capable of returning
> multi-column rows. Would the result of a FunctionCall message be to return
> a FunctionCallResult and optional RowDescription, RowData messages?

Frankly, I'd remove the whole fastpath function thing if I had my
druthers, but I don't want to reimplement libpq's large-object routines.
I'm just planning to leave it as supporting a scalar return value.

I should mark it deprecated in the docs, probably. You can get the same
results more cleanly by doing a SELECT --- and if the overhead is what's
bothering you, there's PREPARE.