Re: WAL recycling, ext3, Linux 2.4.18

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Doug Fields <dfields-pg-general(at)pexicom(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Glenn Stone <gstone(at)pogolinux(dot)com>
Subject: Re: WAL recycling, ext3, Linux 2.4.18
Date: 2002-07-08 15:57:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Doug Fields <dfields-pg-general(at)pexicom(dot)com> writes:
> I'm still trying to track down my very odd periodic pauses/hangs in
> PostgreSQL 7.2.1.
> I've localized it to what seems to be the "recycled transaction log file"
> lines in the log file. Whenever this happens, a whole bunch of queries
> which were "on hold" (just sitting there, as can be seen in
> pg_stat_activity, when they usually execute in fractions of a second) come
> back to life and finish very quickly.

Hm. That would be from the tail end of a checkpoint operation. If you
do a CHECKPOINT command manually, do you get a similar hangup?

What are the stuck queries doing exactly? Can you attach to a few of the
stuck backends with gdb and get stack traces?

> 1) Is there any known bad interactions with ext3fs and PostgreSQL?

Dunno. The CHECKPOINT would probably create a significant number of
disk write requests, followed by a sync() request. If that could
monopolize an ext3 filesystem for a long time, perhaps that would
explain your problem. But I haven't heard similar complaints before.

What do you have shared_buffers set to?