Re: Mailing list question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2002-11-27 15:59:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Or is is standard ML practice/etiquette that I should send replies to
> both the ML *and* OP?

On the PG lists, the convention has always been to reply To: the OP with
cc: to the list (and any prior posters in the thread). This is not the
way things are done on many other lists, but it's the way we do things
here. I think it's partially because the mail servers are sometimes
overloaded and slow --- essentially, you're having a direct conversation
among the participants in a thread, and the mail list is acting more as
an archive.

If it bugs you to get a direct copy and then a mailing-list copy a
little later, I believe you can configure your majordomo subscription
settings to not send you a mailing-list copy when you are already in
To: or cc:. Don't recall the details, but sending "help" to majordomo
at postgresql.org will get you started. (BTW, I also highly recommend
the "unique" setting so you only get one copy of cross-posted messages.)