Re: OIDs of data types

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "M(dot) Bastin" <marcbastin(at)mindspring(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OIDs of data types
Date: 2003-05-29 14:52:35
Lists: pgsql-novice

"M. Bastin" <marcbastin(at)mindspring(dot)com> writes:
> I have been using the docs for about a month now, but I still haven't
> found where to find a table with the field types, their matching
> OIDs, and type modifiers.

select oid, typname from pg_type;

> If anyone could show me where to find this, I would appreciate it a
> lot. (I also still don't know what a "type modifier" is. If anyone
> can elaborate...)

Type-specific additional information, for example the max length for
a CHARACTER(n) column or the precision for a TIMESTAMP(n) column.
This is poorly documented, but you can figure out the encoding by
experimentation --- there are only a very small number of types that use
typmod, since by definition special type declaration syntax is needed
for each such type.