Re: timestamp bug 7.4beta3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Nayib Kiuhan <nayib(at)onlinetec(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: timestamp bug 7.4beta3
Date: 2003-10-15 19:44:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> I agree that this kind of silent backward-incompatibility isn't good,

It's unpleasant, but we were going to have to bite this bullet sooner or
later. Allowing 'now' to work like a non-constant in this context was
always a fragile hack.

> Tom, can we improve the upgrade experience in this case?

I don't see any very simple way; certainly not anything I'd want to
stick in in a last-minute fashion. There are too many possible
representations of 'now', and if we did try to substitute now() we'd
be disabling a legal (if possibly useless) behavior.

It's not like it's hard to fix post-upgrade (or pre-upgrade, for that
matter): a simple "ALTER TABLE ... SET DEFAULT now()" will do it.