Re: timestamp bug 7.4beta3

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Nayib Kiuhan <nayib(at)onlinetec(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: timestamp bug 7.4beta3
Date: 2003-10-15 18:38:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 13:29, Nayib Kiuhan wrote:
> It is a good idea to through out an error during the table creation if
> the format is not as indicated (now()), because when I created my
> tables with the old format, it did not show any problem

I agree that this kind of silent backward-incompatibility isn't good,
but I don't think that we can reject 'now' or its variants outright:
it's legal syntax, it just doesn't do what you might expect.

Since Tom implemented this change, perhaps he can contribute some
insight -- Tom, can we improve the upgrade experience in this case?

-Neil