Re: listening addresses

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: listening addresses
Date: 2004-03-24 15:29:39
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> How about "no socket created for listening" or some such?

> Or "no socket available for listening"?

"Created" seems better since it's a verb, and focuses attention on the
probability that we tried and failed to make a socket. "Available" is
too passive; it seems to suggest that the problem is a kernel limitation
or some other outside force, when of course the problem is bogus
configuration parameters given us by the DBA.

But we've already spent far more time on this one message than is
justified ;-)