Re: That EXPLAIN ANALYZE patch still needs work

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: That EXPLAIN ANALYZE patch still needs work
Date: 2006-06-07 21:28:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Certainly the removal of timing
>> is not going to convert an intolerable EXPLAIN ANALYZE runtime into an
>> acceptable one;

> I disagree, as have others.

The overhead seems to be on the order of a couple tens of percent usually.
I don't see how that makes the difference between an EXPLAIN ANALYZE you
can run and one you can't.

> A full EXPLAIN ANALYZE is always desirable - we agree on that. The
> question is what we do when one is not available.

The least bad alternative I've heard is to let EXPLAIN ANALYZE print
out stats-so-far if the query is canceled by control-C or statement
timeout. The objection to this is you may mistake startup transients
for full query behavior ... but at least the numbers will be good as
far as they go.