Re: Bug in pg_describe_object

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joel Jacobson <joel(at)gluefinance(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, Herrera Alvaro <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug in pg_describe_object
Date: 2011-01-11 15:12:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joel Jacobson <joel(at)gluefinance(dot)com> writes:
> I instead propose we introduce a new function named
> pg_get_object_unique_identifier( classid oid, objid oid, objsubid
> integer ) returns text.

Seems like concatenating the OIDs would accomplish that. (If you
think not, well, you still haven't explained what problem you're trying
to solve...)

> The name would make sense since we already have a
> pg_get_function_identity_arguments( func_oid ), for a similar purpose
> but solely for functions.

No, that does not exist for the purpose you claim it does. And it's far
from obvious what the extension of that to all object classes would
look like.