Re: BUG #15961: psql should be able to read password from stdin

From: Arthur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: rhpatrick(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15961: psql should be able to read password from stdin
Date: 2019-08-19 09:40:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 16.08.2019 17:20, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
> My use case is that I am writing terraform scripts to standup Sonarqube in
> AWS. After creating the AWS RDS PostgreSQL database, I need to be able to
> create the sonarqube user and grant access to the sonarqube database that
> was created with the RDS instance. I can work around this using the
> PGPASSWORD environment variable but that seems to be deprecated. I don't
> want to use the .pgpass solution since I don't want/need the postgres user's
> credentials in my EC2 instance where the Sonarqube server will be running...

Is PGPASSWORD really deprecated? The documentation just says that it is
not recommended to use it for security reasons, and it doesn't say that
the variable is deprecated:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq-envars.html

I guess passing a password by command-line might have similar security
problems. If it suits you then PGPASSWORD should work for you too.

--
Arthur Zakirov
Russian Postgres Company