The leanest, meanest Windows installer possible

From: "Mitchell Vincent" <ksoftware(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: The leanest, meanest Windows installer possible
Date: 2007-07-28 03:26:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all. I'm looking at distributing PostgreSQL with a desktop
application and have a couple of what might be simple questions.

I've been using PG for years and years but bringing it to the Win32
desktop presents some deployment challenges. Since this software will
be downloaded I am looking for the smallest possible installer that
provides the functionality I'm looking for. Currently the whole
application (including the SQLite library that it's using now) is only
about 4 megs. The 20+ meg installer is awesome in it's functionality
but I won't be using most of what is contained in it (docs, language
drivers, etc). Is there a smaller "bare essentials" MSI installer that
provides an easy interface for setting things like the admin password
and the non-privileged service user addition but that contains only
the required EXEs and DLLs? Or perhaps a way for me to take the MSI
installer and strip out the things I won't be needing?

Thanks!

--
- Mitchell Vincent