Re: EXPLAIN (plan off, rewrite off) for benchmarking

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: EXPLAIN (plan off, rewrite off) for benchmarking
Date: 2011-11-19 15:52:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Explain is just a vehicle here, I admit that. But on what else should I bolt
> it?

If you don't like CREATE RULE, try having your test program send just
Parse messages, and not Bind/Execute. I still dislike the idea of
exposing a fundamentally-broken-and-useless variant of EXPLAIN in order
to have a test harness for a variant of performance testing that hardly
anyone cares about. (There is no real-world case where the performance
of the parser matters in isolation.) If we do that, it will be a
feature that we have to support forever, and possibly fix bugs in ---
what if the system crashes because the rewriter wasn't invoked, for
example?