Re: repeatable system index corruption on 7.4.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: "Hackers (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: repeatable system index corruption on 7.4.2
Date: 2004-08-19 18:15:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I'm seeing the following errors after a few hours of fairly aggressive
> bulk load of a database running on Postgres 7.4.2:

> cyspec=# select version();
> ERROR: root page 43 of "pg_proc_proname_args_nsp_index" has level 0,
> expected 2

[ scratches head... ] Are you just doing bulk *data* load, or are you
doing extensive schema hacking too? What reason would there be for
index churn in pg_proc (or pg_class for that matter)?

Can you get a pg_filedump dump of that page of the index?

> When I say aggressive, I mean up to 6 simultaneous COPY processes. It is
> different from the issue Tom solved the other day in that we don't get
> SIGABORT, just corrupt index pages. Here is a backtrace:

That may have more to do with whether the error is detected inside a
critical section than anything else.