Re: PostgreSQL on z/OS UNIX?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gord Tomlin <gord(dot)tomlin(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on z/OS UNIX?
Date: 2015-02-24 22:12:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gord Tomlin <gord(dot)tomlin(at)sympatico(dot)ca> writes:
> z/OS UNIX does have certification as a UNIX system, but there are some
> quirks. The most common sources of problems when porting packages to
> z/OS UNIX are its use of EBCDIC, and autoconf problems. I guess it's
> time for some fail/rinse/repeat.

Hmm ... EBCDIC ... is that mandatory? Because there are a pretty large
number of ASCII dependencies in PG, mostly arising from our support of
multibyte character sets, which are all expected to be ASCII supersets.
If there's not a way to run the server process in ASCII-land, you're
likely dead in the water. I would not want to try to ferret out all
the dependencies.