Re: another failover testing question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David Parker" <dparker(at)tazznetworks(dot)com>
Cc: "postgres general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: another failover testing question
Date: 2005-05-28 00:07:58
Lists: pgsql-general

"David Parker" <dparker(at)tazznetworks(dot)com> writes:
> I can create the missing OID error with:

> 1) configure replication
> 2) establish a client connection, perform operations on replicated
> tables
> 3) remove replication (drops sl_log_1 table)
> 4) operations on replicated tables on client connection are still fine
> 5) re-configure replication (re-creates sl_log_1 table)
> 6) now the OID error appears in the client connection. The OID refers
> to the previous version of the sl_log_1 table

> I was pawing through our code to figure out where we might be saving a
> prepared statement, and was forgetting that the slony1_funcs library
> does this.

I think this is essentially a bug in the Slony library --- it ought to
provide a way to flush its internally cached plan(s).

In the longer term there may be infrastructure for automatic rebuilding
of invalidated plans, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this.
(Even if it existed now, most likely the Slony code would have to change
to take advantage of it ...)