Re: Vacuum is looping on tables?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Guerin <guerin(at)rentec(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Vacuum is looping on tables?
Date: 2004-10-19 17:22:21
Lists: pgsql-novice

Michael Guerin <guerin(at)rentec(dot)com> writes:
> I've noticed that vacuum seems to be looping around the same table,
> is this a expected behavior using v8 beta3?

Yes, and for several releases before that too. You could reduce the
number of loops by increasing vacuum_mem (aka maintenance_work_mem).

One might speculate that you should be vacuuming this table more often,
btw ... when you've got something upwards of 19 million dead rows in
a 300MB table, that seems excessive.