Re: BUG #7588: pgsql 9.1 incompatible with zlib 1.27

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Marino <draco(at)marino(dot)st>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #7588: pgsql 9.1 incompatible with zlib 1.27
Date: 2012-10-07 20:26:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs

John Marino <draco(at)marino(dot)st> writes:
> Are you 100% sure that offsetof is evaluated at compile time? Is this
> not part of section 6.6 that I quoted earlier?

My copy of C99 sayeth (in section 7.17)

offsetof(type, member-designator)

which expands to an integer constant expression that has
type size_t, the value of which is the offset in bytes, to
the structure member (designated by member-designator), from
the beginning of its structure (designated by type).

If your version of gcc isn't treating it as an integer constant
expression, you either have a bug in the compiler or a bug in your
version of <stddef.h>. And I will say once more that we have not
encountered any other report of gcc having a problem with this code.