Re: That killer 3rd join...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
Cc: Oliver Smith <oliver(at)ourshack(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: That killer 3rd join...
Date: 2000-09-07 05:32:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> writes:
> As a separate issue I can't even do the query listed below on my
> machine with reasonably current sources, as it fails after a while with
> an ExecRestrPos: node type 18 not supported. Haven't looked yet...

Yes, there's a nasty little planning bug in 7.0.*: the planner can
try to use merge or nestloop joins as the inner input of another
mergejoin. That doesn't work, and what's worse, 7.0.* will just
silently give wrong answers for such a plan (well, there's a DEBUG
message in the postmaster log, but that's little help :-(). Current
sources give an executor error instead. I have the planner bug fixed
in my own files but it's intertwined with a ton of OUTER JOIN changes
I'm not ready to commit yet...