Re: PHP stuff

From: "Mark Woodward" <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PHP stuff
Date: 2005-03-17 18:13:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Mark Woodward wrote:
>> As the copyright owner, "The PostgreSQL Global Development Group,"
>> has the right to license the documentation any way they see fit. For
>> PHP to sub-license the documentation, it legally has to be transfered
>> in writing. Verbal agreements are not valid.
>
> The PostgreSQL Global Development Group is not an incorporated body, so
> it cannot engage in legal transactions. Only the individual copyright
> holders can do that.

Sorry, that's not true. At least in the USA, any entity that can be
identified can own and control copyright. While it is true, however, that
there can be ambiguity, an informal body, say "anarchists for stronger
government," without charter or incorporation can own and control
copyright.

IANAL, but this is how it has been explained to me.

> What this all boils down to is this: If the PHP project will only accept
> contributions if the copyright is signed over to them, then they will
> not, as a practical matter, be able to incorporate works that are
> derived from PostgreSQL software.

Since the document is
"Copyright © 1996-2005 The PostgreSQL Global Development Group"

"The PostgreSQL Global Development Group," who ever they may be, whatever
they may be, can authorize transfer of copyright.