Re: postgres database crashed

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Ashish Goel <postgres_help(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: postgres database crashed
Date: 2006-10-17 13:46:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Markus Schaber <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com> writes:
> Ashish Goel wrote:
>> The code works well if we don't maintain the referrences but when we
>> include the referrences then the database crashes somewhere between
>> 2500-3000 transactions.
>>
>> So could this problem be due to the multiple referrences being made to
>> the same table ?

> I doubt so.
> Foreign key references are among the basics of SQL, they're pretty well
> tested.

I'm betting that this is a memory-clobber problem in that custom datatype.
The reason the symptoms come and go when varying unrelated stuff is that
it might be chancing to clobber momentarily-unused memory rather than
live data structures. (In the above example, the queue of pending FK
trigger events is likely what got clobbered.)