Re: [INTERFACES] problems with large-objects

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: woho(at)ieee(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] problems with large-objects
Date: 1999-10-02 15:33:26
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Wolfgang Hottgenroth <wn(at)kja-essen(dot)de> writes:
> Sometimes ago I want to switch from 6.4.2 to 6.5.1 and my tools, using
> the large objects through the perl-library refused to work. lo_import
> didn't work anymore.

6.5.* only allows large objects to be kept open within a single
transaction; you have to wrap BEGIN...END around anything that involves
lo_open ... lo_read/write ... lo_close. In particular, since lo_import
and lo_export are just such sequences, they need to be called inside
a transaction.

This restriction has been documented as required all along, but older
Postgres releases didn't enforce it (they'd just fail once in a while
if you didn't do it :-().

It'd be nice if lo_import could start/finish a transaction for itself,
but I don't see any good way to do that without breaking things for
the case that you want to do several lo_imports in one transaction.