Re: Detecting corrupted pages earlier

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vincent van Leeuwen <pgsql(dot)spam(at)vinz(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Detecting corrupted pages earlier
Date: 2003-04-03 23:40:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Vincent van Leeuwen <pgsql(dot)spam(at)vinz(dot)nl> writes:
> ... This cost us about 10 hours downtime. If I'd had the option I just
> would've set ZERO_DAMAGED_PAGES to true and let it run for a few days to sort
> itself out.

Yikes. If I understand this correctly, you had both critical data and
cache data in the same database. As for the cache stuff, a few quick
TRUNCATE TABLE commands would have gotten you out of the woods. As for
the critical data (the stuff you actually needed to dump and restore),
do you really want ZERO_DAMAGED_PAGES on for that? It's a heck of a
blunt tool.