Re: 'postgres' flag

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mike Rogers" <temp6453(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 'postgres' flag
Date: 2001-11-08 14:10:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Mike Rogers" <temp6453(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> Anyone have a code hack to 7.1 to make postgreSQL break out of the
> 'sameuser' jail if a user as the 'postgres' superuser flag?

The difficulty with that idea is that the connection-matching code has
no idea whether a given userid is superuser or not (indeed, that info
is not available to the postmaster at all).

> Or maybe to set
> config file lines based also on 'superuser' (like 'crypt superuser' or
> something like that). Otherwise I think I might make one.

Did you read the thread a day or two back in pgsql-admin? Consider
something like

local sameuser password
local all password crossauth

where crossauth contains the usernames you want to allow to connect
to databases other than their own.