Re: Fixed length data types issue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Dilger <pgsql(at)markdilger(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fixed length data types issue
Date: 2006-09-13 20:59:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Dilger <pgsql(at)markdilger(dot)com> writes:
> int1 works perfectly, as far as I can tell. int3 works great in memory,
> but can't be stored to a table. The problem seems to be that
> store_att_byval allows data of size 1 byte but not size 3 bytes, forcing
> me to pass int3 by reference. But when I pass either of these types by
> reference the backend exits when trying to store to a table.

Please provide a stack trace --- AFAIK there shouldn't be any reason why
a pass-by-ref 3-byte type wouldn't work. I'm wondering though what
alignment you expect it to have. You'd need some pretty ugly code to
pick up an unaligned 3-byte integer portably ... but if you align it,
the space savings probably goes out the window.