Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Devogelaere <michael(at)digibel(dot)be>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL crashes with Qmail-SQL
Date: 2002-01-24 18:45:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Devogelaere <michael(at)digibel(dot)be> writes:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 01:11:39PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> What showed up in the postmaster log when this happened? I would like
>> *exact* error message texts, not approximations.
> Nothing. I disabled all logging since the database responded too slowly
> with logging turned on. So i cannot help you on this.

If you're not going to be cooperative, then I don't see how you expect
us to fix the problem.

FWIW, I don't believe for a moment that /dev/null'ing the postmaster log
improves performance measurably. I've done plenty of profiling in my
time, and never seen any indication that it's an issue; at least not at
the default verbosity level.

>> What happened when you tried to connect with psql? Again, exact, not
>> approximate.
> psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: No such file or directory
> Is the postmaster running locally
> and accepting connection on Unix socket ...

No such file?? Hard to believe that that could happen while the
postmaster was still running. Unless something else had decided to
delete the socket file from /tmp. The postmaster certainly would not
do it.