Re: Big 7.1 open items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>, "'Peter Eisentraut'" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Thomas Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, "Jan Wieck" <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL-development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Big 7.1 open items
Date: 2000-06-28 17:39:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> Why do we have to have system tables per *database* ?
> Is there anything wrong with global system tables ?
> And how about adding dbid to pg_class,pg_proc etc ?

We could, but I think I'd vote against it on two grounds:

1. Reliability. If something corrupts pg_class, do you want to
lose your whole installation, or just one database?

2. Increased locking overhead/loss of concurrency. Currently, there
is very little lock contention between backends running in different
databases. A shared pg_class will be a single point of locking (as
well as a single point of failure) for the whole installation.

It would solve the DROP DATABASE problem kind of nicely, but really
it'd just be downgrading DROP DATABASE to a DROP SCHEMA operation...