Re: Shutting down postgresql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Peter Darley" <pdarley(at)Kinesis-CEM(dot)com>
Cc: "Campano, Troy" <Troy(dot)Campano(at)LibertyMutual(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Shutting down postgresql
Date: 2001-12-28 16:43:18
Lists: pgsql-general

"Peter Darley" <pdarley(at)Kinesis-CEM(dot)com> writes:
> Something that caught me up at first is that PostgreSQL won't shut down
> until all it's backends close, which means that if you have an application
> connected that uses pooled or cached connections you will probably have to
> shut it down first.

This depends on how the postmaster is commanded to shut down. I think
what Troy is looking for is the various stop-mode options to pg_ctl:
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/app-pg-ctl.html
or perhaps he wants to know about the underlying signals that can be
sent to the postmaster:
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/postmaster-shutdown.html