Re: connecting with pgAdmin II

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel Lerch <daniel(at)mountainmeasurement(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: connecting with pgAdmin II
Date: 2004-10-13 18:12:13
Lists: pgsql-novice

Daniel Lerch <daniel(at)mountainmeasurement(dot)com> writes:
> I _think_ this error message means I need to get into the pg_hba.conf
> file and create that entry (and I think pg_hba.conf is supposed to be in
> the 'pgdata' directory). Unfortunately, I can find neither pg_hba.conf
> (a 'whereis pg_hba.conf' gives me nothing) nor pgdata.

Most likely PGDATA is /var/lib/pgsql/data ... to make sure, look at the
init script (probably /etc/init.d/postgresql). Or you could try
ps auxww | grep postmaster
and see whether the data directory was specified with a -D switch on the
postmaster's command line.

Don't forget you need to SIGHUP or restart the postmaster after editing
its configuration files. ("pg_ctl reload" or "service postgresql
reload" usually work for sending SIGHUP conveniently.)