Re: WIP: shared ispell dictionary

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: WIP: shared ispell dictionary
Date: 2010-03-18 16:05:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I know so Tom worries about using of share memory.
>
> You're right, and if I have any say in the matter no patch like this
> will ever go in.

I wrote second patch based on preloading. For real using it needs to
design parametrisation. It working well - on Linux. It is simple and
fast (with simple alloc). I am not sure about others systems.
Minimally it can exists as contrib module.

Pavel

> What I would suggest looking into is some way of preprocessing the raw
> text dictionary file into a format that can be slurped into memory
> quickly.  The main problem compared to the way things are done now
> is that the current internal format relies heavily on pointers.
> Maybe you could replace those by offsets?
>
>                        regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
preload.diff application/octet-stream 17.4 KB