Re: BUG #5308: How to disable Case sensitivity on naming identifiers

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kelly SACAULT <kelly(dot)sacault(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5308: How to disable Case sensitivity on naming identifiers
Date: 2010-02-03 03:27:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Hello,

usually sql identifiers are case insensitive. There are exception. If
you use double quotes for sql identifier, then you have to write exact
same identifier everywhere.

postgres=# create table Foo(a integer);
CREATE TABLE
Time: 174,078 ms
postgres=# select * from Foo;
---
(0 rows)

Time: 33,255 ms
postgres=# select * from foo;
---
(0 rows)

Time: 0,822 ms
postgres=# drop table foo;
DROP TABLE
Time: 34,945 ms
postgres=# create table "Foo"(a integer);
CREATE TABLE
Time: 3,225 ms
postgres=# select * from foo;
ERROR:  relation "foo" does not exist
LINE 1: select * from foo;
                      ^
postgres=# select * from Foo;
ERROR:  relation "foo" does not exist
LINE 1: select * from Foo;
                      ^
postgres=# select * from "Foo";
---
(0 rows)

Time: 1,277 ms

you cannot change this behave. Just don't use double quotes in create
statement.

Regards
Pavel Stehule