Re: some strange bugs related to upgrade from 8.1 to 8.3

From: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "postgres hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: some strange bugs related to upgrade from 8.1 to 8.3
Date: 2008-11-05 12:46:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I started upgrade our databases from 8.1 to 8.3. I found two strange
>> bugs related to tsearch2.
>
> Did you follow the advice here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/textsearch-migration.html

yes I did

try: psql83 template1 < db05.sql &> log.txt

I tested it on second computer with same result
You are now connected to database "postgres".
SET
SET
SET
ERROR: role "lmc" already exists
ALTER ROLE
CREATE DATABASE
You are now connected to database "brigady".
SET
SET
SET
SET
SET
CREATE LANGUAGE
ALTER LANGUAGE
SET
CREATE TYPE
ERROR: could not find function "gtsvector_in" in file
"/usr/local/pgsql83/lib/tse
ERROR: function public.gtsvector_in(cstring) does not exist
ERROR: could not find function "gtsvector_out" in file
"/usr/local/pgsql83/lib/ts
ERROR: function public.gtsvector_out(gtsvector) does not exist
ERROR: function gtsvector_in(cstring) does not exist
ALTER TYPE
CREATE TYPE
ERROR: could not find function "tsquery_in" in file
"/usr/local/pgsql83/lib/tsear
ERROR: function public.tsquery_in(cstring) does not exist
ERROR: could not find function "tsquery_out" in file
"/usr/local/pgsql83/lib/tsea
ERROR: function public.tsquery_out(tsquery) does not exist
ERROR: function tsquery_in(cstring) does not exist
ALTER TYPE
CREATE TYPE
ERROR: could not find function "tsvector_in" in file
"/usr/local/pgsql83/lib/tsea
ERROR: function public.tsvector_in(cstring) does not exist
ERROR: could not find function "tsvector_out" in file
"/usr/local/pgsql83/lib/tse
ERROR: function public.tsvector_out(tsvector) does not exist
ERROR: function tsvector_in(cstring) does not exist
ALTER TYPE
CREATE TYPE
ALTER TYPE
CREATE TYPE
ALTER TYPE
CREATE TYPE
ALTER TYPE
ERROR: type "tsvector" is only a shell <<===== this is wrong
ERROR: type "public.tsdebug" does not exist

>> a) server crash after creating tsearch2 function (I use tsearch2
>> contrib from 8.3)
>
> I couldn't reproduce that with the script you gave.
>
> regards, tom lane

I tested it on fe8, 32 bit without problem, so it's maybe related to 64bit.

Regards
Pavel Stehule