Re: Anything akin to an Evaluate Statement in Postgresql?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: A E <cooljoint(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Anything akin to an Evaluate Statement in Postgresql?
Date: 2004-01-06 15:56:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

A E <cooljoint(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I tried to use a for in loop to execute the statement to try to get some dynamic functionality but I get "ERROR: missing ".." at end of SQL expression" what am I doing wrong?

Did you declare the loop variable (here, "objectdefinition") as a
record or rowtype variable? If the loop variable is not known,
plpgsql assumes this is a locally-declared-integer kind of FOR loop,
which leads it to expect the lowbound .. highbound kind of syntax,
which leads to the above error message.